/ must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 14:57:26 UTC 2011

On 10/18/2011 02:08 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com>  said:
>> Yes, that is what it means. We can't sensibly expect to be able to
>> reliably install to a root partition with data on it.
>
> Does this affect kickstart installs?  I have some kickstarts that
> manually create filesystems in %pre to get specific mkfs options (that
> anaconda doesn't support).

I think this is a reasonable use and I've done similar things in the
past when support for certain tool options (LVM/MD as well as file
system) were not yet available in anaconda.

A boot option or other switch for users that know what they're doing
(and how to put the pieces back together afterwards) would be useful.

Regards,
Bryn.