/ must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Tue Oct 18 15:47:23 UTC 2011

On 10/18/2011 11:41 AM, Chris Lumens wrote:
> I think this is completely unreasonable to expect.  You think we should
> be able to take a /, which might have the leftovers of previous failed
> installations, do an install on top of that without removing what was
> there, and the result should be a fully functional Fedora installation?
I never said that.

As others have pointed out. Anaconda should remove whatever it needs to
remove in order to install what it needs to install.

This is not an impossible or even particularly hard problem to solve. It
is merely a problem that no one has taken the time to solve, with the
result that RPM will fail to install an RPM if there's something
"unexpected" where the RPM files / directories / links / devices are
supposed to go. So add a special install mode to RPM which says, "you're
allowed to blow away anything you find of the wrong type if you
encounter a blocking mismatch during installation," and have anaconda
enable that mode.

Anaconda should be allowed to create any config files that it's designed
to create and install any files that it's designed to install. That
doesn't preclude having a preformatted partition that has a bunch of
files and directories on it that Anaconda doesn't and shouldn't need to
care about or touch.

If you have examples of situations where there's something in the way on
the disk that Anaconda can't be made capable of dealing with, I'm all ears.

> Well for kickstart users who want to do this intentionally, they can
> still continue to do so (though, be careful).
Someone else said in another message that this ability was going to be
removed from kickstart as well.

   jik