Sudo not working

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Oct 18 16:06:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:51:13AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:
> > Currently neither of the 2 boxes I have F16 on, will allow me to use
> > sudo.
> >
> > [mike at scooby ~]$ sudo yum update
> > [sudo] password for mike:
> > mike is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
> >

> > [sudo] password for mike:
> > mike is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
> >
> > Yes I have /etc/sudoers file uncommented for the %wheel group.
>
> There was a glibc update that caused secondary groups to be ignored.
> I don't remember if that is fixed or not yet.

There's a fix, not sure if it's in normal updates--I went and grabbed it
after it was mentioned in the bug report.  You want to have

glibc-2.14.90-12.999

If your glibc is lower than that, the problem exists.  To temporarily
work around it, you can just add user mike in sudo.  (Doing su still
works--do su, do visudo, and add mike      ALL=(ALL)   ALL

This will let user mike use sudo.  Once you get glibc-2.14.90-12.999 you
can remove mike from sudoers, and go back to using wheel.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6