/ must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

clumens at redhat.com clumens at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 16:16:25 UTC 2011

> >The amount of work you're describing here is huge, and the number of
> >people who would benefit from such a setup is very small.  I'd guess
> >that for whatever scenario you can imagine, another scenario can be
> >imagined that would not be able to be handled.
> I disagree with just about everything you've said above.

Well that makes two of us, so whatever.

> Not to mention that making design decisions based on rare corner
> cases like this one is not a good way to design software.

The corner case here is what you are describing.  I can't remember a
time anyone has ever asked to do this (outside of the formatting with
special options that you can do with kickstart, in which case you're
getting the known good starting point I mentioned earlier).  I can,
however, remember people reusing / by accident many times and then
filing bugs.

> Anything. Anything at all. You're doing a fresh install. So install
> everything, and if anything gets in the way, blow it away. It's much
> simpler than you're making it out to be.

We have a way of doing this - it's called formatting the filesystems we
are doing an install onto.  That's about as simple as it gets.

- Chris