/ must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

David Lehman dlehman at redhat.com
Wed Oct 19 16:22:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 11:00 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, David Lehman <dlehman at redhat.com> said:
> > You found a bug. We don't honor fsprofile when --useexisting is passed
> > to the logvol command. If you file a bug it can be fixed pretty easily.
> > Or, if you just let anaconda create your logical volumes for you you
> > won't hit the bug.
>
> I wondered if that was the problem.  However, I also don't see my test
> settings applied to /boot.

Ah, yes. Same bug for partitions. Presumably also for raid.

> > Out of curiosity, why are you doing the partitioning and lvm stuff in %
> > pre?
>
> Anaconda doesn't give any controls of ordering or layout of LVs.  For
> example, I use LVM snapshots for backups.  I create the LVs with a
> little empty space at the end to use for the snapshot (so it stays close
> to the original data).  I also then need to leave a certain amount (that
> I figure in percent) of the VG free for snapshot space.

anaconda-16.18-1 added support for specifying reserved space in a _new_
vg for snapshots or whatever. I'm adding it to the wiki options page
now. The new options are both to the volgroup command:

  --reserved-space=<mb>         (reserved space in mb)
  --reserved-percent=<percent>  (reserved percentage of vg space)

> I've also used mirrored LVs for some setups in the past.  I actually did
> that with a crazy hack that involved bind mounting a wrapper script over
> lvcreate (so I didn't do partitioning/LV setup in %pre). :-)
>
> The ordering wouldn't be hard to handle in anaconda, but the other
> things would be tricky.  I guess if anaconda had ordering controls, I
> could use a bunch of scratch LVs in between each "real" LV (and then
> delete the scratch LVs in %post).  That might also work to reserve space
> for snapshots.

Why do you care about the ordering of the LVs?

> Anaconda also doesn't allow custom RAID configuration options, such as
> metadata versions, chunk size, bitmaps, creation of RAID with missing
> devices (or IIRC RAID1 with 1 drive) for later expansion.

We do create bitmaps where they make sense when creating md arrays since
around F13.

Dave