/ must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 19 18:37:50 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, David Lehman <dlehman at redhat.com> said:
> Ah, yes. Same bug for partitions. Presumably also for raid.

Oh, you said it worked for you.  What version were you testing?

> anaconda-16.18-1 added support for specifying reserved space in a _new_
> vg for snapshots or whatever. I'm adding it to the wiki options page
> now. The new options are both to the volgroup command:
>
>   --reserved-space=<mb>         (reserved space in mb)
>   --reserved-percent=<percent>  (reserved percentage of vg space)

Go to know.

> Why do you care about the ordering of the LVs?

Because ordering affects performance.  For example, I set up a separate
LV "queue" for the mail queue on a mail server; I also have a separate
LV for /usr/local ("usrl", grows to fill the VG, minus space for
snapshots) and /var ("var", where the logs live).  Anaconda orders LVs
alphabetically (last time I checked), which could put the mail queue and
mail logs at nearly opposite ends of the disk.

> > Anaconda also doesn't allow custom RAID configuration options, such as
> > metadata versions, chunk size, bitmaps, creation of RAID with missing
> > devices (or IIRC RAID1 with 1 drive) for later expansion.
>
> We do create bitmaps where they make sense when creating md arrays since
> around F13.

That covers one option.

I don't necessarily expect anaconda to expand to cover all the available
options, but at the same time, anaconda shouldn't prevent admins from
using the available options via %pre.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>