bash filename completion buggy in F16?

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Thu Oct 20 17:15:11 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 06:53 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:17:06 +0200
> Joachim Backes wrote:
>
>> Am I doing something wrong, or is bash's behaviour buggy?
>>
>> If trying the same in F15, bash expands the filenames as expected.
>
> I haven't investigated yet, but I'm thinking someone has foisted
> all the "smart" bash completion junk on us in f16 which thinks
> it knows the context it is in and what you must have meant and
> tries to complete that. I'm pretty sure it can be turned off,
> but I haven't taken the time to figure out how yet.

I opened a BZ (682785) concerning the described problems, and it was
rejected as "no bug" (obviously the completion works not independent
from the leading command, for example if the cmd is firefox, as in my
case, it's not expected that an ogg file is to be opened :-) For me,
this philosophy is rather weird!

Kind regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>