systemd, selinux, and kernel pains in F 16

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:58:37 UTC 2011

The latest set of updates to my system went, well, rather poorly. It
almost feels like an alpha to me again which is kind of fun. The issues
I mention below may be related, they may not be, and/or I may just be an
unlucky person.

During the update upon installation of selinux-policy-targeted, the
system locked up hard and had to be hard reset.

Upon reboot it appears systemd is no longer forwarding password requests
so that I can unlock my partitions.

Upon rescue mode I completed the remaining transactions, and installed
the remainder of the packages, now grub can't find the rc10 kernel, and
systemd is still unable to give me a password prompt.

Upon trying to downgrade systemd (in rescue mode) I was unable to
because of multilib errors. What is multilib all about anyway?

All this led to a really long route of locking myself out of my system
(again).

Mostly this is just a heads up to folks that it may happen to you, but
if anyone has advice, well I have nothing to do but figure out how
windows operates until Fedora is back :)

-Erinn