/ must be on a partition or LV that will be formatted. Reusing an existing / is not allowed.

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 12:16:21 UTC 2011

> > Um, yes it is? "The only concern I ever had for my layout is
> > whether the next distro installer would be smart enough to
> > let me skip formatting of the / partition."
>
> I belive that ...
>
> you talk about the action itself
>
> Kamil talks about *allowing* the action

Speaking for myself: if the default behavior is to format the root partition, and I have to find a small obscure deep hidden checkbox and then confirm a big fat warning to persuade the installer not to format it, I'm perfectly content with that solution. I don't object against the default behavior, but I like when there is an option "yes, I am an advanced user and yes, I really know what I am doing, thank you very much" that allows me to override it.

I just want to point out that I believe I have a valid use case and I believe it relates to more people than just me (small notebook disks are common, LVM is uncommon, /home on root partition in default distro install is common). But I'll not fight for it, because of course I'll manage, if needed.