Email in Fedora 16?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 17:38:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 10:30 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> For the last several years I have been using a combination
> of procmail, spamassassin, sendmail, and thunderbird
> to handle email on omen.com.
>
> Fedora 16 TC2 seems to break this in mysterious ways.
> To begin with, Selinux was spreading its unholy influence
> across the system, denying this and that.  This always
> happens after installing a new Fedora, only this time I
> could find no menu item to turn it off.  Neither did
> adding noselinux to the anaconda command line.
> I had to edit selinux config itself.
>
> With that out of the way, and the usual tweek to sendmail.mc
> some mail started coming in.  Procmail wasn't working
> for some reason.  Messages, mostly spam, were coming in
> and the command line mail command could see them
> but not Thunderbird.
>
> So now I am back to Fedora 14.

Chuck, seriously, man, I don't know what we need to do to get through to
you, but 99% of your initial reports _are completely useless_.

Imagine you're the procmail maintainer. You just read this email from
this dude called Chuck. It says:

" Procmail wasn't working for some reason.  Messages, mostly spam, were
coming in and the command line mail command could see them but not
Thunderbird."

Now what do you do? How do you fix the bug?

You haven't a clue, because the report gives you absolutely no idea what
the bug may be. You just don't know where to start. There's literally
nothing you can do. You can't even tell if it's actually procmail that's
broken.

What is this guy's actual mail configuration? Where does he store his
mail? Has he checked if his mail is actually winding up there? What's
his Thunderbird configuration? What do his logs say?

You don't know. So how can you possibly even think about starting to fix
the bug?

I mean, I'm really at a loss to see how we can get you to grok this, but
I feel like I have to keep _trying_ at least...