F16 with current updates from testing - resume does not work anymore

Christian Menzel christian.menzel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:49:43 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Lars Seipel <lars.seipel at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 06:59:26 PM Christian Menzel wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > After installing the F16 beta, suspend/resume did work on my Thinkpad
> X220.
> >
> > Now after some updates the system won't resume anymore but just blink
> with
> > all its LEDs including ThinkLight.
>
> My suspend issues disappeared when I updated to the latest firmware version
> (1.22 iirc) available from Lenovo.

Upgrading the BIOS actually helped!
I followed the instructions to create a USB Stick found here:
http://www.floccinaucinihilipilification.net/blog/2011/10/2/updating-the-bios-of-a-thinkpad-x220-using-linux.html

The suspend key (Fn-F4) still does not work, but that's a minor issue
compared to not being able to suspend at all.

> Be aware that you have to use EFI to boot Fedora. The latest firmware
> revisions (at least, don't know about the former versions) make bogus
> assumptions that you never want to boot from a GPT-partitioned disk while
> using BIOS compatibility mode. It just won't try booting from a GPT disk,
> you
> have to use UEFI.

I'm having grub-efi installed, which makes a good job.