dbus suddenly stops working even though it still seems to be running

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Tue Oct 25 14:55:29 UTC 2011

Greetings,

Mail-notification crashed on me recently and when I tried to restart it
it claimed that it couldn't get to dbus to read its configuration.

Dbus processes appeared to be running, and I hadn't been logged in for
all that long so I don't think it's a question of an old socket being
purged from /tmp or anything like that.

Logging out and logging back in fixed the problem, and I haven't seen it
since.

Has anybody else seen this? Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot
further if I see it again?

   jik