F16: window manager for xfce has disappeared

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:28:04 UTC 2011

On 10/28/2011 11:25 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:55:42 -0400
> sean darcy<seandarcy2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Running XFCE. yum upgrade'd yesterday, now there's no window manager.
>> Stuck using gnome.
>>
>> What is the xfce wm? And where is it turned on?
>
> It's xfwm4, and it should run by default.
>
> In the event your session had it crash and you then logged out it may
> have saved the session without it. Login and use a terminal to run
> 'xfwm4&' or remove your old session file.

Once I logged in, I couldn't type in a terminal. CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE,
deleted ~/.cache/sessions/xfce* (which took me forever to find!). That
worked, thanks.

>> BTW:
>>
>> switchdesk kde
>> Red Hat Linux switchdesk 4.0
>> Copyright (C) 1999-2010 Red Hat, Inc
>> Redistributable under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>> ERROR: KDE is not installed on your machine! to install KDE, please
>> type yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
>>
>> yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
>> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
>> Setting up Group Process
>> Warning: Group KDE (K Desktop Environment) does not exist.
>> No packages in any requested group available to install or update
>
> It's not called that anymore.
>
>> and yum groupinstall kde fails with broken deps!
>
> I'd suggest 'yum groupinstall kde-desktop'
>
> kevin

  Yes, yum groupinstall kde-desktop works. But I'd never have found it
without your help:

yum grouplist | grep KDE
    KDE Software Compilation
    KDE Software Development