Gnome shell memory leak in F16 TC2 ?

Pratyush Sahay pratyush.a.sahay at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 13:44:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Pratyush Sahay
<pratyush.a.sahay at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 18:09 +0200, drago01 wrote:
>>
>> > gnome-shell version?
>> >
>> > There was a bad leak in 3.2.0 which is fixed in 3.2.1
>>
>> rpm -qa | grep gnome-shell output:
> gnome-shell-3.2.1-1.fc16.i686
> gnome-shell-extension-common-3.2.0-1.fc16.noarch
> gnome-shell-extension-gpaste-1.6-1.fc16.noarch
> gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu-3.2.0-1.fc16.noarch
> gnome-shell-extension-native-window-placement-3.2.0-1.fc16.noarch
>

>> And are you using any customizations - extensions, alternate themes,
>> etc?
>>

> Just tried running system with all extensions uninstalled. gnome-shell
> still ballooning up. Using the default Adwaita theme.

Update : Had manually installed few extensions in F15. Since my F16 is an
upgrade, those didnt work.. but guess some of it were creating issues.
cleaned them all up and have reinstalled the above extensions too,
gnome-shell process is behaving MUCH MUCH better today than few days back.
Will continue monitoring it and report back.

I have access to fresh install of ubuntu 11.10 in one of our lab machines,
which i configured to use gnome-shell. Apart from the above extensions, it
had system-monitor too installed. And, it too was ballooning up same way.
After uninstalling all extensions and reloading, i installed the extensions
one-by-one and seeing their effect. Turns out, system-monitor extension is
the culprit there!

--
Regards,
Pratyush Sahay