Fedora 16 RC1 NetworkManager bug?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 15:35:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-10-30 at 07:54 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> I just installed RC1 and when I have a live ethernet cable plugged in
>> I can not connect to wireless.
>>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>> 1. Boot with wired ethernet cable connected.
>> 2. Wired left at defaulted to off
>> 3. Attempt to connect to WPA2 wireless access point.
>>
>> The connection attempt fails without asking for the passphrase.
>>
>> If I disconnect the wired eithernet and choose my access point again
>> the wireless connection succeeds.
>>
>> As an aside, it seems to take more time to make the wireless
>> connection than in the past...
>
> Not asking to be a smartass, cause I don't see how that's a bug.  Why
> would you even WANT to connect via wireless if the cable is plugged
> in?

Does it matter?

1. Instead of telling me what I'm doing wrong or just working I get
"Connection Failed"
2. Wired is OFF, it shouldn't matter if something is plugged in or not.

As far as to why you'd want to. What if you wanted to setup your
laptop as a wireless access point?

Now why wired defaults to OFF is another matter all together.

> And out of curiousity, what if you connected wirelessly THEN connected
> the network cable?

The network connection is dropped even though wired is still set to OFF.

Richard