Draft 'install alongside Windows' test case

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 1 13:26:08 UTC 2011

>Well, no version of Windows yet sets up a GPT disk label, and anaconda
>is supposed to leave existing MSDOS disk labels around.

I configured Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit to use several disks in a
software RAID arrangement a year or two past.  A BIOS update to this HP
system subsequently killed Windows (Fedora on the same machine was fine),
but I suspect Windows used GPT labels (or something that looked like GPT
disk labels) for the RAID disks.  I encountered failures from fdisk,
and complaints from parted about GPT labels, when I subsequently reused
the RAID disks for single-volume file systems.

This is not proof that Windows uses GPT disk labels, but suggests it may
occur in some circumstances.