Draft 'install alongside Windows' test case

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 17:05:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 10:10 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey, folks. I just threw together a quick draft of an 'install alongside
> > Windows' test case - we have this as a final criterion, but no test case
> > for it as of yet. Here's the draft:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_install_alongside_Windows
> >
> > any comments, questions, suggestions welcome! thanks.
>
> " Prepare a system with a Windows installation, and some free disk
> space on the same disk as the Windows installation "
>
> Isn't the most likely scenario one where the Windows partition has to
> be resized?

We specifically don't support (in the sense of 'delay releases for')
resizing as it's known to be a very hairy area. For instance, I did a
test where I install a completely clean, single-partition Win7 system
taking up an entire 20GB virtual disk, immediately booted to the Fedora
installer and tried to resize the partition, and ntfsresize crapped out
because (AFAICT) Windows had actually created the partition wrong - the
NTFS filesystem was a sector larger than the actual underlying
partition. This is, apparently, not unusual behaviour for Windows, and
it's not something we can do much about because *ntfsresize itself*
intentionally does not try and handle this case, it just throws an error
and goes to bed.

Basically, resizing is an inherently fragile operation and we made the
choice not to 'guarantee' it with the criteria.

You could say the test represents the scenario where you do the resizing
with something specialized like gparted prior to starting Fedora
installation.