F16 beta TC1 garbled graphical screen [workaround]

Jurgen Kramer gtmkramer at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 3 07:32:52 UTC 2011

> On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 17:02 +0200, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 11:53 +0200, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> > > When I get past the current dracut/squashfs problems (BZ#735199)
> > > (workaround maxcpus=1 works for me). I only get a garbled graphical
> > > screen so I cannot continue with the installation.
> > > anaconda textmode is no longer there and xdriver=vesa gives the same
> > > garbled screen.
> > >
> > > All F16 alpha rc's and alpha worked fine with the graphical installer.
> > > Did something change here?
> > >
> > > btw this is when booting through EFI. Legacy boot works.
> > >
> > The garbled screen at boot is still there, but when booting in EFI mode
> > with maxcpus=1 and a bit more patience (wait for hardware), anaconda
> > gets to the normal graphical install screen and I can make my way
> > through a the installation.
>
> Oh, so it comes up garbled, then after a while resolves itself?
> Interesting. What hardware?
This on a 2011 mac mini with Intel Sandybridge mobile and HD3000 gpu
(X.log shows Sandybridge Mobile (GT2+)).
It seems the screen is garbled when de fb driver is used. The screen
gets to a normal state when the X driver is loaded.
When I boot in legacy mode I do not have this issue, so it's EFI only.
It seems this also dependent on the display that is connected.

My normal display is 1680x1050 and gives the garbled screen. With
another display with 2560x1440 resolution I do not get the garbled
screen.

Jurgen