PulseAudio Alert volume tvtime oddity

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 20:56:20 UTC 2011

F16 Alpha almost up-to-date but not fully because of those e-d-s/libcamel
broken deps that still block several test updates. Following scenarios:

1) Run tvtime and keep it running somewhere on the desktop.

2) Open a gnome-terminal.

3) In GNOME Shell "Sound Settings",

   3.1) if "Alert volume" is 100% and not muted, pressing TAB in a terminal
        plays the alert sound just fine alongside tvtime audio

   3.2) when decreasing "Alert volume" level below 50%, upon letting lose
        the mouse button, tvtime volume is cut off for approx. 2 seconds,
        then returns to its previous level

   3.3) when checking [X] Mute for "Alert volume" and keeping its volume
        level at 100%, pressing TAB in terminal does not play any sound
        (expected!) and does not disturb tvtime audio (expected!)

   3.4) when checking [X] Mute for "Alert volume" and setting its volume
        to either 0% or a low level, pressing TAB in terminal does not
        play any sound (expected!) but cuts off tvtime audio for approx.
        2 seconds

As I don't use tvtime regularly, I'll need to check whether this has
been the same in F15, but I think I haven't encountered it before.

What's wrong? What component is messing with the volume?

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc4.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.09 0.16 0.21