F16 slowness

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 16:41:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:06, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:
> Welp, I reported before when had KDE installed that my system was slow
> to respond when opening programs, maneuvering through emails, browsing,
> etc...
>
> Well I installed the Live desktop spin from 9/04 with gnome this time,
> and it was worse.  I would be in a CLI (gnome-terminal) and just typing
> "ls* could take seconds (10 ore more) to almost a minute before it
> finally responded.  Just hitting the down or up arrows to move my cursor
> with my keyboard would do same thing.  Also same thing when using mouse
> to move to a menu (my name in top right corner) and waiting for the menu
> itself to appear.  Yes this was an install from the live image, so
> wasn't the slowness of the dvd.
>
> So there is something causing both and if you haven't done a fresh
> install lately, try it and see.  I have a dual CPU and 6Gigs ram, so
> it's not cpu power or memory, and F15 (what am on as type this) runs
> just fine.

Hmm I can't replicate on my system..  so lets see if we can figure this out

1) Does this happen in a non-X environment?
2) Does anything occur in dmesg, /var/log/messages or .xsession-errors
3) Which image exactly do I need to download to try and replicate.

> Smolt profile, although with F15..
>
> http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/show?uuid=pub_24333163-6646-44e4-9539-871cab74d85+

Hmm something seems to be wrong or missing. Doesn't come up.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren