Sudden screen corruption getting worse / ATI Radeon

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 18:35:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 12:12 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Whereas with F16 Alpha I only saw minor corruption occasionally, such as
> http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/tmp/screenshot-f16-alpha-damage1.png
>
> since a few days ago suddenly the entire desktop gets corrupted
> spontaneously. That means, after using it normally, all of a sudden the
> entire display gets damaged. For instance, all windows become black areas
> with shadows at their borders. Or worse, colourful noise patterns appear
> everywhere. I've tried to make a screenshot:
>
>   http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/Screenshot-F16-screen-corruption.png
>
> Which component is responsible for that?

Looks like a video driver issues to me. Nowadays the important bits of
the video drivers are really in the kernel and mesa, but it's usually
best to start by filing your bug against xorg-x11-drv-video-* - in your
case, xorg-x11-drv-video-ati - because that will get it to the attention
of the person who's likely to know where to address the problem.