F16 Beta Blocker Bug Review #2 Minutes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 21:00:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 22:24 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/9/6 Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com>:
> > Whoops, I forgot to send these out on Friday. Sorry for the delay.
> >
> > Tim
>
> I looked at that list and have not noticed any "glibc/gcc/* can
> corrupt your *" problems. I wonder how much would be safe for me to
> update to F16? I use my server for web development - php things,
> python, mysql, postgresql, cherokee, apache, git, samba, memcache,
> lucene - these are programs that I care most about.

There are no known 'world is broken' bugs in f16 right now; glibc -6 is
known to break the world, but it never made it out of -testing. -4 and
-7 are both okay. Web development stuff isn't heavily exercised in any
of our programmed testing, and I'm not aware of anyone else who uses F16
for that stuff, so you may be the first to really exercise that whole
stack in F16 if you update.

>  I have no pressure
> when it comes to use new features, I want to test HekaFS, also Xen
> support looks promising. Do I have to use GRUB2 if I upgrade to F16?

No, if you upgrade from f15 to f16 you stick with grub-legacy, as things
stand, and I believe that's how it's going to be for release.