Again: Oh no, something goes wrong

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Sep 7 21:42:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 23:33 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 13:49:47 -0700, AW (Adam) wrote:

> > > Great to see that you understand the problem on your own. ;)
> > >
> > > All the added packages during that period have _not_ been pushed to any
> > > repository at all, because the ticket was back to "pending" and waiting to
> > > be pushed to "testing". Everyone trying to update only has had access
> > > to the older packages with broken deps.
> >
> > I know, but it's still relatively easy to access the 'real' packages,
> > and that's what all the people who tested the GNOME update did.
>
> Ah, come on! That's close to blanket approval for such a high number of
> packages, which require much more individual testing. To sign them off
> all with a brief comment or a simple "works for me" isn't credible.

On the contrary, I'd say it's exactly what we want. It doesn't benefit
anyone to hold up the entire default desktop in updates-testing because
Widget 234 in eog doesn't quite work right. I think it's right to allow
an entire-GNOME update through as long as it more or less works. If we
kept it in -testing until every niggling bug in every GNOME component
was fixed...we probably wouldn't have GNOME 3.2 until 2014. =) F16 is
still a *pre-release*, remember. We aren't expecting perfection at this
point.