F16 slowness

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 08:15:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 14:54 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 13:32 -0400, Andy Lawrence wrote:
>> >

>> > Something is going on with gnome-shell.  Mine progressively goes form
>> > normal to 50% CPU, over a few hours.  End result is a fairly choppy
>> > desktop until reloaded (ALT+F2; r).  No interesting output in dmesg or
>> > messages.
>>
>> Might be that or along those lines, or some underlining issue that
>> causes it, as stated before, kde has slowness issues as well.  Maybe
>> it's glibc that is having some issues and/or along with newer kernels
>> along with debug turned on, with those combinations might be causing it
>> all.
>>
>> But if others aren't having any slowness issues, then maybe it's
>> something else that we all have the same issue with. Video (mine is
>> radeon hd 4350) or something?
>
> It sounds to me like you're all hitting different issues, and none of
> them is general: my F16 system doesn't have any slowness issues, and
> I've booted various F16 lives on my laptop over the last few days and
> haven't had any serious issue there either. I know some others don't
> have slowness issues with F16 either. So these must be
> configuration-specific to *some* degree.

I believe it is system specific, I'm seeing a massive amount of
slowness on my eeePC 901. Its a standard first gen Atom netbook. I see
high CPU from ksoftirqd/0 (pretty much all that should be idle) and
quite high CPU from some btrfs processes. gnome-shell takes for ever
to load but I think that's more the underlying kernel stuff. I've not
had time to try older kernels as yet.

I have btrfs on both root and home partitions, not sure if that might
contribute given the associated processes featuring in the top
processes using CPU. Its a mostly clean install. I had to do a minimal
F-15 install, yum upgrade to minimal F-16 and then install X, gnome
etc due to various issues with the F-16 installers I could find.

Peter