aggregation of gnome tools

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 11:53:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 06:03 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> In the meanwhile, several tools have been developed for the management
> of my gnome or gnome3 desktop (gui or not gui based), but each time I
> need to use them I have to think about what tool to use:
>
> gnome-tweak-tool
> gconf-editor
> dconf-editor
> gconftool-2
> gnome-session-properties
>
> It seems there is a tendency for creating more and more such tools.

Your list is a missing at least the commandline tools dconf and
gsettings. But I don' think things are quite as bleak, and all these
tools have their own mission:

gconftool-2 / gconf-editor are obsolescent, and will fall by the wayside
when the last things are ported away from GConf

The dconf commandline tool is very low-level and you should just use the
gsettings tool.

dconf-editor is the gsettings equivalent of gconf-editor, a 'generic'
graphical frontend for all settings.

gnome-tweak-tool is a non-generic graphical frontend to a wider set of
options than what is exposed in the control-center. It should be the
first stop for anybody who feels the itch to 'tweak' his desktop.

gnome-session-properties is obsolescent, a leftover from the gnome 2.x
control-center. The autostart functionality will eventually be
integrated somewhere in gnome-shell or the control-center.