F16 slowness

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:04:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:32:28 -0400, AL (Andy) wrote:

> Something is going on with gnome-shell.  Mine progressively goes form normal
> to 50% CPU, over a few hours.  End result is a fairly choppy desktop until
> reloaded (ALT+F2; r).  No interesting output in dmesg or messages.

1) xterm + mc suffer from major slowness for me (ATI Radeon). Test-case
is simple. Open an xterm, run mc, then enlarge the window via mouse. One
can observe a long series of consecutive window contents redrawing. I think
this has become worse recently.

2) Claws Mail folder summary view reacts slowly. A normal single
left-button mouse-click on the vertical scrollbar does not just page
up once but several times, no matter how briefly I try to click the
mouse button. Only way to avoid it is to really really really just tip
the mouse button as if I'm scared to even touch it. ;)

3) Some screen/window refreshes in both gnome-terminal, Emacs and xterm
are still delayed, too, or only take place if one moves the window.

Next on my testing todo list is to compare with Openbox again.