Sep 9 TC2 LiveCD amd64

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Sep 9 17:10:16 UTC 2011

Tested the TC2 amd64 LiveCD briefly this morning on a Lenovo T400 with
Intel 915 graphics card, iwlagn wifi, and 8GB of RAM.

1. Initial boot (default mode): plymouth started, then screen turned
black with the top left corner of the screen turning gray and white.
System didn't respond to CTRL-ALT-F# keys so I couldn't pull any
useful data before I forcefully powered it off.

2. Boot in basic graphics mode: went into Gnome fallback mode without
incident; didn't test much

3. Boot in near-default mode, having removed the "quiet" option to try
and track where the problem happened in boot #1. Interestingly, after
getting through plymouth, the system seemed to hang for a period of
time at:

"Starting udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization..."

then kicked back into gear with the message:

"Starting udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization failed, see
'systemctl status udev-settle.service' for details"

and then successfully booted into full-on Gnome 3 with all the bells
and whistles.

Running 'systemctl status udev-settle.service' didn't seem to provide
any information other than repeating the "Wait for Complete Device
Initialization failed" message.

Wireless (iwlagn) connected successfully to an 802.11n router and
Cheese worked to take a succession of pictures with and without
effects (much better than F15!)

In retrospect, boot #1 might have succeeded had I been less impatient;
 so I didn't time how long I waited for either boot #1 or boot #3 to
finish (my perception, though, was that it took about a minute to get
through the 'hang' during the Starting udev phase). I have not yet had
a chance to try it again, as I need my laptop to do my actual work.
Will try to run through it again later tonight if there's interest.