tracker search tool (was: Re: New bugs in updates)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 17:31:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 17:39:32 +0100, PR (Peter) wrote:

> >> 6) Tracker (apart from having crashed) started to appear at the top of "top"
> >> with heavy CPU usage. I hope that won't go on like that.
> >
> > To fight that, I've stopped the mining, then used
> >
> >   yum -y install tracker-search-tool
> >
> > to install two more tracker related executables. That made it possible to run
> >
> >   /usr/bin/tracker-preferences
> >
> > where I could turn of the indexing. Kind of stupid to index removable
> > media by default.
>
> Nothings really changed then, its always been somewhat of a CPU hog,
> although generally most packaging people had a separate tracker
> subpackage so you could just remove it completely. It seems
> grilo-plugins has a tracker interface, it looks like the tracker
> component could be split out into a subpackage, not sure what impact
> that would have on the grilo package as a while though.

I can assure you, it's the first time I've noticed this tracker activity
and immediately considered it a major annoyance. I don't think I've had
this with F-15. And with F-16 it has been like that only since 1-2 days.

$ rpm -qi tracker|grep ^In
Install Date: Wed 07 Sep 2011 11:38:44 PM CEST

I'd like to turn it off completely. Or remove it. If that's not possible,
it's a blocker.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.0.1-3.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.69 0.31 0.42