F16 slowness

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 18:37:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:07:48 -0500, MC (Mike) wrote:

> > > Okay, different bug then. What graphics card?
> >
> > Radeon HD 4350.  Using a 2.6.40 kernel (might try a 3.0 kernel that is
> > lil older) helps speed it up a whole lot.
>

> Below are 4 kernels that I have tested to see what works ok and what
> don't.  The 2 3.0 kernels both were extremely slow, and the 2 2.6.40
> kernels were both faster and more responsive.  Using the latest 2.6.40
> does still have X use up some CPU but haven't seen it get past 25%
> compared to the 3.0 kernels both seem to go up past 50% ore more.
>
> Seems whatever is the difference in the kernels (diff in how built?), or
> whatever the difference in what they are built against might be the
> issue, or a combination thereof.  Figure that out and might be onto
> something.  Maybe others can try same thing and see what they get.
>
> [mike at scrappy ~]$ rpm -q kernel
>
> kernel-2.6.40.4-5.fc15.x86_64

That one with F-16 really is faster. It's very obvious with the lame
xterm+mc test. Which, btw, also flickers in F-15 albeit much faster. Hah! [1] :)
Compared with that, when using the most recent F-16 kernel (-> signature)
the flickering is twice as slow or even slower.

[1] Conclusively, it could be that with my ongoing attempts at converting
to gnome-terminal, I have not used mc in xterm in F-15 often enough recently.
Nevertheless, in F-16 resizing an xterm+mc window is unbearably slow.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc4.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.20 0.54 0.30