tracker search tool

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 00:54:49 UTC 2011

On 09/09/11 10:29 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 13:13:25 +0200, me wrote:
>
>> 6) Tracker (apart from having crashed) started to appear at the top of "top"
>> with heavy CPU usage. I hope that won't go on like that.
>
> To fight that, I've stopped the mining, then used
>
>     yum -y install tracker-search-tool
>
> to install two more tracker related executables. That made it possible to run
>
>     /usr/bin/tracker-preferences
>
> where I could turn of the indexing. Kind of stupid to index removable
> media by default.

Fully agree! I had the same issue with tracker-search-tool on Fedora 14 a while ago. One of the
updates introduced it as dependency for solang. Th next day I was downloading some 12 GB of photos
off a memory card using Rapid Photo Downloader and couldn't quite figure out why the download seemed
to finish but I still couldn't get the card unmounted -- tracker was scanning it for some
unfathomable reason. Solution?

rpm -e solang tracker tracker-search-tool

Sadly, tracker affected my interest in Solang... Why do I need another search tool on my system?
Already have locate. KDE comes with it's own stuff (which I disable by default). Now another one
sneaks in...

Cheers,
Dariusz