tracker search tool (was: Re: New bugs in updates)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 12:13:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Nothings really changed then, its always been somewhat of a CPU hog,
>> > although generally most packaging people had a separate tracker
>> > subpackage so you could just remove it completely. It seems
>> > grilo-plugins has a tracker interface, it looks like the tracker
>> > component could be split out into a subpackage, not sure what impact
>> > that would have on the grilo package as a while though.
>>
>> I can assure you, it's the first time I've noticed this tracker activity
>> and immediately considered it a major annoyance. I don't think I've had
>> this with F-15. And with F-16 it has been like that only since 1-2 days.
>>
>> $ rpm -qi tracker|grep ^In
>> Install Date: Wed 07 Sep 2011 11:38:44 PM CEST
>>
>> I'd like to turn it off completely. Or remove it. If that's not possible,
>> it's a blocker.
>
> In F15 nothing very critical depended on tracker, and it may well not
> even have been installed by default.
>
> In F16, through grilo-plugins, shotwell and totem both depend on it, so
> it's harder to get shot of.

Actually its only grilo-plugins that depends on it, totem then depends
on grilo-plugins and shotwell on totem.

The tracker support in grilo-plugins can easily be split into a
grilo-plugins-tracker subpackage so that would be the easy way to lose
tracker and people that wish to use tracker can install the plugin.

Peter