KDE fungus growing over everything!

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 02:58:52 UTC 2011

I installed both gnome and KDE so I could test either of
them in my f16 partition.

I was trying out installing my HP printer (by turning it on
for the first time in f16), and it appeared OK, but when
I went to fiddle some properties with system-config-printer,
I very shortly got a popup with the title "kded - KDialog"
saying something about ~/.kde/share/config/kdedrc not
being writable.

I click OK on that, and get another with a similar
complaint about KPackageKitSmartIconrc

Then I tried to build my "kewpie" DVD print program:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/software/kewpie/kewpie.html

which has always been a plain old Qt application.

Now however, if I try to run in in a gnome 3 session,
it comes up, but the print dialog is utterly non-responsive
(even the Cancel button doesn't work).

So I try logging out of the gnome 3 session and logging
in to a KDE session (for the first time, I might add,
which probably explains the ~/.kde not writable messages).

Now, I can run the printer dialog - the controls actually
respond, but in f15 and before, my Qt programs worked
fine without being run in a KDE session.

When I go to save my config file, I also find that someone
has caused Qt to use the KDE file dialog instead of the
native Qt dialog.

Anyone know if there is some qtconfig magic or something
I can use to tell Qt to just use the native Qt dialogs
and not rely on some random collection of KDE daemons
which are apparently not running in a gnome session?

All this trouble, only to find that the hplip in f16 still
can't print to the DVD tray correctly. I guess I'll have to
keep my old fedora 13 partition around to boot into when I
want to print a DVD :-(.