FC15 TFTP open timeout.

Francis SOUYRI francis.souyri at apec.fr
Mon Sep 12 10:10:05 UTC 2011

Hello,

Since I upgrade our cluster from the FC14 to the FC15 I have a bad
problem with the tftpd server.
I have some thinstations booting over the network after the update the
boot failed with the message "TFTP open timeout". I have also the
problem with a fresh FC15 install.

I use an "ip alias" (cluster address) for the tftp server (next-server
in the dhcp), when I use the real ip I have no problem.

I do some test from a fc15 tftp client, to an "ip alias" I have this:

tftp> trace
Packet tracing on.
tftp> get /thinstation/dell/pxelinux.0
sent RRQ <file=/thinstation/dell/pxelinux.0, mode=netascii>
received DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
sent ACK <block=1>
received DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
sent ACK <block=1>
received DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
sent ACK <block=1>
received DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
sent ACK <block=1>
received DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
sent ACK <block=1>
received DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
sent ACK <block=1>
sent ACK <block=1>
received DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
sent ACK <block=1>
received DATA <block=1, 512 bytes>
sent ACK <block=1>
sent ACK <block=1>
sent ACK <block=1>

I found some information about a "Service Guard environment" from HP and
an option to enable it:

"This option is required for some tftp clients. These clients reject the
tftp reply received from a
different IP address than the one requested when the server’s interface
is configured with
an alias IP address."

I do not see an option like that in the tftpd server of the FC15.

Best regards.

Francis