Fedora 16 Beta.TC2 Upgrade Skip Bootloader Test Case - Sanity Check Questions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 20:42:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 15:29 -0400, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
> The
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_Upgrade_Skip_Bootloader says the expected results are as follows:
>

> Expected Results
>      1. The system should be upgraded to Fedora 16 version without
>         error
>      2. The system can boot into new version fedora without error
>      3. The opened terminal, file browser, or other system
>         applications should display and work correctly
>
> How does the newly installed system boot into new version fedora when
> there is no entry in the bootloader for it.  It seems to me that the
> present way it is written this testcase will always fail.
>
> A more realistic set of results would be that any non fedora
> bootloader entries still work and that the new fedora can be booted if
> manually grub bootstrapped.
>
> Unless I am misunderstanding this testcase?

As I wrote in the bug I believe you're correct here, the test case is
not correct as written: this option is supposed to not touch the
bootloader configuration, and hence there is a chance it will result in
an unbootable system (if the kernel from the previous release is still
available I think the configuration will be bootable, but we can't rely
on that).