Laptop overheating with F 16

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 21:39:55 UTC 2011

On 09/12/2011 11:45 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> If you don't do anything in Windows to cause extended high CPU usage,
> then obviously the system temperature will remain lower.
>
> I suspect if you, say, ran Prime95 for a while in Windows, it might
> reproduce the issue.

I ran stress -c 5 (I have 4 cores with HT) on the laptop and was able to
generate the CPU thermal events under F 16.

So I then ran prime95 in windows for about an hour, didn't get anything
in the logs, though I don't pretend to understand windows logging
structure or to even say mine is set up correctly.

So I then switched to booting F 15 from a rescue disk, and chrooting
into my F 16 install and running stress -c 5 again (basically a long way
around to booting an older kernel), and I was unable to generate the CPU
thermal events.

I doubt this is an apples to apples comparison, but it is about as close
as I can get with what I know. Is it possible the F 16 is just logging
more information and that is why I am seeing this error? Like I said
never saw this with F 15, you believe it is HW, I don't buy it yet, so
is there something else that could explain it?

-Erinn