Laptop overheating with F 16

Pekka Pietikäinen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Mon Sep 12 22:58:12 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 10:37 -0800, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:

> I know we hear this all the time in this business, but it used to work
> just fine. Perhaps it is hardware failing, but why then would windows
> never display any thermal issues, perhaps it is really good at hiding it.
> [   96.742668] CPU3: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock
> throttled (total events = 1)
> [   96.742676] CPU2: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock
> throttled (total events = 1)
> [   96.743699] CPU2: Core temperature/speed normal
> [   96.743701] CPU3: Core temperature/speed normal
> [   99.005684] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: MCP limit exceeded: Avg temp

A small data point, I started getting these (and automatic shutdowns) on
a T410s, which I thought was Fedora 15's fault. Then I swapped the
harddrive to an identical T410s and the errors stopped... I think pretty
recent kernels (F15 or some update afterwards) have started reporting
these. Also there was a bug that caused a way too many of these to be
reported, but that should be fixed already....

Anyway, applying compressed air to the fan is never a bad idea. There
was quite a bit of dust there in my case, but cleaning it up didn't
help. The beast is now running sort-of-happily in an air conditioned
office doing unimportant work.

If you think it's F16, try running from a live cd of F14/15 for a  while
to be sure? And you can also manually force the fan to run at max speed,
see if that helps? (modprobe thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1 needed, I
think)