bug 720605 (was: Re: F16 slowness)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:48:28 UTC 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 23:20:59 +0200, D (drago01) wrote:

> > with NO (!) disable-culling stuff but just these extra rectangles, and
> > so far I cannot reproduce any issues.
>
> That's because "CLUTTER_PAINT=redraws" does disable culling and
> clipped redraws (i.e same as the workaround).

Then what do the rectangles tell me?
How could I tell "if there are rectangles painted where nothing should be
painted"?

Example: xterm test-case.
I get two green/cyan rectangles a bit larger than the xterm.
If I type "ll", a red rectangle appears around the last character
and the cursor. If I hit Enter, the rectangle appears with full
xterm size excluding the decorations.

Somewhat strange, if I change focus between multiple windows, the
initial red rectangle is not drawn at the same position. Sometimes
it surrounds the xterm, sometimes just a narrow area right below
the bottom line of input. In other cases, it is twice as large as
high as the xterm but not wide enough and covers an unrelated area
above the xterm.

No idea yet what to test. :-)

Example 2: Claws Mail test-case.
Opening mail folders previously failed to draw the summary line
for one message in the Summary View part of the window. Instead,
the line was white. When trying this out with the extra rectangles,
these appear quickly in various areas, most often surrounding almost
the entire Claws Mail window.
Typing this reply in Claws Mail's  internal editor, red rectangles
switch too rapidly between the currently edited line, the window border,
just the cursor, and sometimes they appear in the middle of the
bottom half of the screen for a fraction of a second when the current
draft is autosaved and parts of the main window are updated, too.

As I guessed, this is a tough one.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc6.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.08 0.13 0.19