Dual Boot Dilema Request for Ideas

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 14 09:07:59 UTC 2011

On 2011/09/13 23:13 (GMT-0400) Bob Lightfoot composed:

>       I realize that a successful dual boot system is not our first
> priority, but was hoping the vast pool of experience might be able to
> shed some light on this issue as to what I am missing.

Until this apparent problem with Grub2 is fixed, a possible workaround
relates to installation order. Windows does not need to be installed first. I
have run into a problem installing XP after Linux in that the XP installer
finds some unknown reason to black screen within seconds after starting up.
When that doesn't happen, installation proceeds perfectly normally, and this
is how I do it.

1-Partition completely, using a scheme roughly similar to that on
http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html which means small primary
partitions for /boot and Windows "boot", or at least one for Windows "boot",
and a much larger primary for Linux /. Either ensure / is after the Windows
OS partition, or ensure your XP installation CD supports HDs > 128G
(originals do not; if yours doesn't, be sure to have an update media to offer
an updated driver during Windows installation startup).

2-At this point I install DOS on the Windows "boot" primary, but that's
probably not technically necessary. It does ensure Windows will enable
NTLDR's OS chooser menu, and that the MBR contains standard boot code.

3-Install Fedora normally, ensuring to put the Grub(2) bootloader on the
Linux partition, not on the MBR, to make the Linux / or /boot primary the
"active" partition.

4-Follow the instructions on the above URI to create the 512 byte file NTLDR
can use to "chainload" to Grub

5-Set the Windows "boot" partition (C:) active

6-Install Windows

7-Modify boot.ini to include an entry to load the 512 byte "chainloader" file

At this point you'll have the ability to choose whether to boot Fedora or
Windows. Once the appropriate bits and/or fixes are installed in Fedora so
that you have a working Grub2 menu entry for booting Windows, you have the
option to switch the active flag to Fedora's primary partition, and only see
the Windows boot menu when you want to start Windows instead of Fedora.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/