Remove a package from critpath ?

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu Sep 15 13:03:32 UTC 2011

On 09/15/2011 12:19 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:24:53 +0200,
>    Xavier Bachelot<xavier at bachelot.org>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm maintaining the xorg-x11-drv-openchrome package, which provides the
>> X driver for VIA IGPs and it never received any karma from a proven
>> tester, most probably because this hardware is not available to any of them.
>>
>> So I think there are 3 options :
>> - A proven tester with the hardware steps up and helps with this package.
>> - The package is removed from CritPath.
>> - All updates stays in the updates-testing repo forever.
>>
>> I can't find anything about removing a package from CritPath in the doc.
>> Orphaning the package is not really an option I'm interested in ;-)
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Critical_path_package
>
> I thought there was already a plan afoot to allow graphics drivers other
> than a few common ones, to not be in the crit path list.

I think I remember reading something about that, but I'll be glad to
refresh my memory on this topic and understand what the current plan is.
Can anyone point me where this idea is/was discussed ?

Meanwhile, If I understand correctly, all X drivers inherit critpath
because they are required by xorg-x11-drivers which is itself a critpath
package.
So either xorg-x11-drivers stops requiring the non-critpath drivers,
which is probably not what we want because they would then not be
installed by default, either xorg-x11-drivers and all but the selected
few X drivers loose their critpath status. Without reading about the
plan you mentioned above, I'll tend for the later, but again I'll be
glad to learn about the current status.

Regards,
Xavier