A post-mortem on the heat issues

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 00:12:34 UTC 2011

Just in case anyone is interested. It was very much a hardware issue
that was leading to the system experiencing thermal issues, just so
happens that upon upgrading the Fedora 16 I was paying a lot closer
attention to the logs and noticed it. Not sure why I wasn't able to
reproduce it as easily in Windows or in Fedora 15, perhaps all the
debugging in Fedora 16 has something to do with that, I imagine it
generates a bit more load.

Now for the funny part, well to me at least, the fan on this ThinkPad
was replaced 3 months or so ago, the tech who put it in forgot to remove
the slip of paper covering the heat sink/thermal grease so effectivley
heat was being pushed from the processor through thermal grease, into a
paper layer and then back into thermal grease and on to the heat sink. I
suppose it is really luck that little piece of paper didn't catch fire.

Thanks again for the help and the patience, I now know how to control
the fan on my system via proc, as well as gather temperatures, and
create arbitrary loads to test it all out. All good things to learn I
suppose.

-Erinn