Another issue with install and GPT

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Sep 18 05:21:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-18 at 04:50 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> Anaconda is installing the mbr on the usb and with cd it still tries to
> install the mbr on the relevant media nor really hard to understand all
> blocker results.

What's hard to understand is that I can't duplicate that result: I've
done a net install from the disc image and not seen it try to write the
bootloader to the CD drive. I can't think of anything that would cause
anaconda to do that. AFAIK it's not possible for it to consider an
optical drive a valid install target. If this was a general result,
Alpha would never have gone out...

> What is failing is the mbr record so the question remains here how
> prepared is anaconda for grub2.

That's a vague question: in some sense, of course it's 'prepared', how
else would any F16 install we've done at all have worked? They all use
grub 2 (except EFI).

Are there bugs? probably.

So, why ask the question? The important bit is, let's work out what the
bugs are.

I'll re-test a net install and see what happens.