Another issue with install and GPT

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 15:35:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 09:37 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> >> Both result in a non bootable system from harddrive.
> > Well, those seem like significantly different issues. Did you try at all
> > to figure out why the second case wasn't booting? When you say 'non
> > bootable', what happened when you tried to boot?
>
> In all counts the bios could not boot of the harddrive as in did not
> find the necessary boot partition,
>
> >   What partition layout
> > option did you choose?
>
> Default non lvm layout ( unhash lvm )

Default is 're-use existing Linux partitions', right? Did that result in
a complete disk wipe or not?

> > Did you check and see if it created a BIOS boot
> > partition?
>
> It did not ( well in the case of the usb key it did but did so on the
> usb key itself containing the iso image not the harddrive )

This sounds like the nub of the issue, if it formatted the disk with a
gpt disk label but did not create a BIOS boot partition, for the
netinst-on-real-disc case. If so I guess we'd need a bug with the
anaconda logs.