Relevant update notification for testers {Was: Remove a package from critpath ?}

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Wed Sep 21 09:06:16 UTC 2011

On 09/21/2011 03:35 AM, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
> I can understand the frustration caused by lesser-used and more-obscure
> items needing karma.

No frustration on my side, openchrome is a package for niche hardware
and it's not surprising it's not getting as much testing as more
wide-spread packages. It just happened to also be in crit path and that
combination basically prevented to ever be able to push updates to
stable. This will soon be fixed.

...snip...

> Admittedly I might be a bit at fault in this case, as recent OLPC Fedora
> respins use a Chrome driver we had optimized a bit instead of
> openchrome.

Yeah, I more or less know the story behind this choice and I understand
the reasoning. Hopefully, with the development currently going on in
openchrome, it will soon be at the same level of support and possibly
better than the current driver.

> I can swap drivers and provide karma in this case if you
> don't care about it coming from a respin (which currently more-or-less
> is following F14 updates-testing).
>
> I also asked a developer who had custom post-F14 builds he was testing
> to verify the openchrome driver on those.

I'm happy with (proven-)tester karma from the OLPC respin. And actually,
I do get karma from OLPC buddies, so really I have nothing to complain
about from your side. This is only testing one flavor of the chipset in
a very specific hardware case, but that is indeed better than no testing
and no karma, and this is not different than for any other hardware
driver. The more testers on the more various hardware, the merrier ;-)

I have a number of machines with various VIA IGPs flavors I test
openchrome on (including an XO 1.5 that was provided by the OLPC team
exactly for that purpose). But as it was discussed recently on the
mailing list, it's better maintainers don't +1 their own packages and I
agree with that. So please everyone, keep sending good and bad karma my
way, this is hugely appreciated, even If I'll soon be able to push
updates to stable without proventester karma.

Regards,
Xavier