Some notes from fallback mode

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Sep 22 20:59:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 14:14:42 -0600,
  Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:

> 1) Chances are the "oh no" will go away once I install the latest versions
> of clutter and mutter; that has been my experience in the past.  But yum
> won't do that for me.  Somehow, in recent times, it has gotten rather
> harder to figure out *why* a given installation fails; "skipped because of
> dependency problems" is rather uninformative.  I *think* the information I
> need can be found in lines like these:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I have been using the -v option for yum to
get a better idea of what is blocking updates. I'll also try erasing the
package that won't update to see what depends on it. Sometimes I'll just
let this go and try to put as much back as possible, and sometimes I'll
be able to figure out which package is blocking the update and just remove
that.