Final Release Criterion for Xen DomU

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 18:17:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 10:41 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> During the discussion around Xen DomU support as a beta release
> criterion in the Fedora QA meeting today, the question of blocking for
> DomU came up.
>
> Specifically, do we want to have Xen DomU support as a final release
> criteria?
>
> I can think of two arguments for making it a release criterion:
>
> 1. If install as DomU doesn't work at final release, it becomes much
>    more difficult to install as DomU for that release without spinning
>    custom install media.
>
> 2. Amazon EC2 is based on Xen, DomU support could affect our ability to
>    release on EC2.
>
> Another thought is that Fedora 16 is going to be the first release in a
> while that supports running as Xen Dom0. It seems a bit silly to have
> support for Dom0 and not have the ability to run as DomU.
>
> Anyhow, thoughts around making DomU support a final release criterion?

I'm kinda ambivalent. I can see the 'should be fixed by install time'
argument but that doesn't quite count as a compelling argument for
making it a *blocker* issue, to me: it's a good argument for putting it
in the NTH principles at least, and more or less automatically
considering Xen issues NTH, though.

I'm kinda short on things to take into consideration when deciding if it
should be a release blocking issue, really. We might want to broaden the
scope of this out to the devel list too, to take the temperature? It
does depend on at least kernel team, anaconda team, and grub2
maintainer, I think, being willing to prioritize work on Xen issues.