big initial login delay?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 18:21:59 UTC 2011

I've been noticing long delays when logging in after booting
to my f16 partition. I just tried an experiment.

If I boot the system, and login as soon as the KDM prompt
appears, there is a 20 or 30 second delay between hitting
return in the login screen and getting the gnome-shell display
to appear.

If I boot the system then wait 20 or 30 seconds after
the login prompt to type my password, then there is only
a 2 or 3 second delay for the gnome-shell to appear.

Anyone know what is going on between the time it pretends
I can login and the time a login will actually finish?