Final Release Criterion for Xen DomU

Andy Burns fedora.lists at burns.me.uk
Mon Sep 26 22:03:52 UTC 2011

On 26 September 2011 17:41, Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:

> Specifically, do we want to have Xen DomU support as a final release
> criteria?

I would certainly appreciate it, it it was. I used to run Fedora with
Xen up until the dom0 removal (I understand the reasons why that
happened and I've also noticed the efforts of Jeremy/Konrad and others
to remedy it)

Since then I've run Centos5 as my dom0, initially with the Centos Xen
package, later with the gitco.de packages, and occasionally had to
compile my own kernels (both dom0 and domU) to get hardware support
especially with PCI passthrough, and never really got a stable system,
this is all for fun at home (though it partly informs my more sensible
use of xen at work) in short the past few years have felt like being a
bit of a refugee while trying to stick to fedora/redhat/centos based
distros.

Now that 3.1 kernel is going to hit F16, this ought to open up Fedora
for full dom0/domU usage again, not everyone has hardware with VT-d
suitable for KVM.  Sure there are a few rough edges, manually setting
up virbr0 for now isn't much hardship, a bit of a learning about grub2
issues, and pygrub, some wrinkles probably related to systemd (or my
lack of understanding of it), the biggest issue is the one that
prompted this thread (though the bug was logged by someone else
regarding F15) that you can't install F16 into a domU, pre-existing
domUs do work fine.

Encouraging to hear DaveJ say that taking patches that are heading
up-stream is a possibility.

I don't feel I'm in any position to say whether Xen should be a NTH or
a release criteria, but clearly I'd like to see it happen one way or
another.