fedora 16 dvd or network install ?

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Wed Sep 28 15:03:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:45:11PM +0300, cornel panceac wrote:

> i've downloaded de x86 fedora 16 dvd install iso so that i'll no longer need
> the network. during the install, i was asked to configure a wired network
> interface (which i did), then proceeded to the install. later i've seen that
> the usb stick from which i started the install (which contains the files
> from dvd) is not used but instead the ethernet connection is the install
> source. i've never tell anaconda to install from the internet (but maybe the
> network repos were autoamgically selected). is this by design?

Did you do the same with < F16 and did that act differently?

Isn't it so that a DVD written to an USB stick act as a netboot.iso
(and behaves differently than when booting the same image from DVD)?
In that case you might want to add "askmethod" at the boot prompt
and then see if it offers to install from local media.

Personally, I always store DVD images in my network, boot via PXE
and then install via NFS (although in F14 something was broken so
that I had to unpack the DVD before mounting).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>