fedora 16 dvd or network install ?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:04:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:45:11 +0300, CP (cornel) wrote:

> i've downloaded de x86 fedora 16 dvd install iso so that i'll no longer need
> the network. during the install, i was asked to configure a wired network
> interface (which i did), then proceeded to the install. later i've seen that
> the usb stick from which i started the install (which contains the files
> from dvd) is not used but instead the ethernet connection is the install
> source. i've never tell anaconda to install from the internet (but maybe the
> network repos were autoamgically selected). is this by design?
>
> on the other hand, i've noticed that the 3.x kernel freezes often on my x40
> thinkpad. is this a known issue? (i'll test the hardware anyway, after
> install.)

Since I've reported something similar (with DVD ISO on harddisk) for
the past releases, it has been necessary to boot the installer with a
repo=hd:/dev/sdaN:/path/to/iso/image  argument in order for the
installer to find the ISO image instead of loading from Internet.
Give it a try, replace /dev/sdaN with the device for your USB stick.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc6.git0.3.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.22 0.11 0.08