Final Release Criterion for Xen DomU

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 19:23:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 10:41 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> During the discussion around Xen DomU support as a beta release
> criterion in the Fedora QA meeting today, the question of blocking for
> DomU came up.
>
> Specifically, do we want to have Xen DomU support as a final release
> criteria?
>
> I can think of two arguments for making it a release criterion:
>
> 1. If install as DomU doesn't work at final release, it becomes much
>    more difficult to install as DomU for that release without spinning
>    custom install media.
>
> 2. Amazon EC2 is based on Xen, DomU support could affect our ability to
>    release on EC2.
>
> Another thought is that Fedora 16 is going to be the first release in a
> while that supports running as Xen Dom0. It seems a bit silly to have
> support for Dom0 and not have the ability to run as DomU.
>
> Anyhow, thoughts around making DomU support a final release criterion?

So this discussion seems to have stalled. Tim and I are both ambivalent,
and we got three responses that were positive but tentative or from
'interested parties' (no offence :>). Does anyone who doesn't have skin
in the game have an opinion either way?

It might be good to consider use cases too. One particular one is EC2:
I've heard that EC2 guests are Xen instances but I'm not entirely sure
about the details. Is this the case? i.e. if a Fedora release didn't
boot in Xen would that make it unusable in EC2? That would certainly be
a consideration.